Tuesday 24 March 2009

My only hero is SRK: Ajantha

Released from hospital, Sri Lankan bowler and Kolkata Knight Riders team member Ajantha Mendis has put the Lahore attack behind him, to focus only on cricket more specifically, IPL 2.


Q. When will you be in Kolkata for the Kolkata Knight Riders conditioning camp?

Ans: I really don’t know. I am waiting to meet the Kolkata crowd. Last year, when I was at Eden Gardens for IPL, I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw that the whole of Kolkata showed up to support us... The VIP boxes were full of celebrities. It was quite an experience. This year too, it will be a great opportunity to enjoy the camp with Sourav Ganguly, Mashrafe Moratza and other cricketers. I am eager to meet (Ricky) Ponting, (David) Hussey and (John) Buchanan, but don’t know when I can join the team.

Q. Has anybody from KKR got in touch with you after your release from hospital on Monday?

Ans: I’m not sure. My manager might have got calls from the team officials. As for the tournament dates, I am clueless about whether the IPL will get postponed.

Q. Have you recuperated completely now?

Ans: Thank God! I don’t even want to think about that incident. My injury was serious and the medical team and counsellors did a great job to overcome it. I am more or less fit now. After spending a day or two with my family, I will start my practice session. Initially, I was really scared and didn’t know how to deal with it. But everything is a part of life and if it was my destiny, it was bound to happen. The Lahore attack was a lesson that life can change in a flash. I am grateful to all my cricketer friends, Board officials and fans who helped us during the crisis and supported our families. Now, I just want to focus on my cricket.

Q. Media reports say that Shah Rukh Khan, owner of KKR, sent SMSs to you...

Ans: I am not sure, as I was in hospital and don’t have his number. Please convey my regards to him.

Q. Sehwag, Sachin and Dhoni are in great form in New Zealand, and you have to play against them. As a bowler, who do you consider the toughest Indian batsman to bowl to?

Ans: They are all great and it is always tough to bowl to them, because they never give you a chance. But as a bowler, I have the confidence to face them. I don’t need to play against Ganguly at least, and that’s a good thing! (laughs)

Q. Last year, you won the Emerging Player of the Year Award at the ICC Awards ceremony...

Ans: It’s great to win awards but at the end of the day, everybody will remember me because of my performance alone.

Q. You have set a Hrithik Roshan chartbuster Pyaar Ki Ek Kahani as your caller tune. Are you a fan of his?

Ans: No way! The song is good, but my favourite actor is the one and only Shah Rukh Khan.

Q. And your favourite leading lady? Is it Shilpa, Juhi, Preity or Katrina?

Ans: They all are associated with different IPL teams, so I’ll pass this question!

No comments:

Post a Comment